To Create a Banner:
I use the online editor at pixlr.com http://pixlr.com often because I
can make part of an image transparent and save it as a png
to keep the transparency. However, there are other
programs you could use. There is a list on the Free Graphic Editors and
Tutorials page of graphic editors that you can
download or use online. Just pick something that looks
interesting and play with it to see what it can do.
Example of Banner Created:
(Original 974 X100 - This example resized to 520 x 67)
Steps to Creating the Banner
- Go to pixlr.com.
- Click on "Pixlr Editor" to get to the editing program.
- A popup box will appear. Click to "Create a new image"
- A "New image" popup box will appear. Put in the sizes
you want for your banner.
- Be sure to click on "transparent".
- You can name it now or later. Then Click "OK"
The Canvas and other Windows
The working area will open with a "canvas". You can
click in the bottom corner and hold your mouse button,
then drag to make the "canvas full size or you can use the
scroll bar at the bottom to move from side to side in your
Toolbar and Other Windows
There will be a tool bar on the left. There will be three
other little windows that open. The "Navigator" box will
show what part of the image you are viewing. The "Layers"
box will show you the layers. You can click on the layers
in this box to select it so you can work with that layer.
Then there will be a "history" box. You can click, hold
and drap at the top of these boxes to move them around to
get them out of your work area.
To add text, click on the big "A" to activate the text
tool. Then click inside the canvass. Type the words you
want. Use the choices at the top to choose the color, size
and face of your font. You can click on the "move" tool to
move the words where you want them. If you plan to have
two lines of writing, you might want to put each into
their own text box (layer) That way, you can use different
sizes, color or font faces for each of the lines.
You can add other images to the banner if you want.
- Go to "File --> open" and upload the image you want
- If the image is too large, you can resize it by going
to "Image --> Image Size"
- A little pop-up will appear. You can change the height
to 100 px and the width will adjust accordingly.
To add the image to your banner:
- Click the image you want to add to make it active.
- Go to "Edit --> select all";
- Then "Edit --> copy".
- Then click on the box containing the banner to make it
- Go to "Edit --> paste".
- To move the pasted image, select the "move tool"
- Click and hold on the newly pasted image and move it
where you want it.
To go back to change something about an individual image
or text that you have added to the banner, you will need
to click on the layer that contains that part. (See
screenshot above to see layer box)
Saving the Banner
When you have the banner the way you want it, you will
want to save it. You have the option to save it to an
account at pixlr or to save it to your computer. I always
save it to my computer. I don't have a pixlr account.
Try it out and see what you can do. You can use these
instructions to make banners, logos, graphic comments or any
type of image you choose. If you have any questions or want
to show what you've done and/or share some tips, tricks or
techniques, feel free to post in The Studio.
- Go to "File -->save".
- A popup will appear. Name the image and choose the
- Click OK.
- Wait for the regular "save" dialogue to appear.
- Navigate to the folder/directory where you want to
save your image.
- Click OK and image will be saved to your computer.